Friday, July 15, 2011

A spot of tea for all that ails you

Phew, these have been hectic days.  I'm grateful for the little comforts and signs of grace.  When I was driving my husband to the hospital for his surgery, I was so agitated and mentally cursing everyone who drove in front of me, banging on the steering wheel with my palms and sucking on my teeth in frustration.  In short, I was coming unraveled at the seams and all my stress was leaking out all over the place.  We pulled up to a stop light (which I also cursed) and a sky-blue van rolled to a stop on our right.  I looked out the passenger window and floating right in my lines of sight is a woman in a lotus position, wearing a crisp white outfit with a beatific smile gracing her lips.  Hardy har har, God.  I took that as a sign to calm down and really let Him take the lead.  Just then, I glanced up and saw that sun beams were penetrating the storm clouds in front of us like swords of light that almost touched the Earth.  It was supernaturally beautiful.  A gift, just when I needed it.  To be inspired, to have my breath taken away by what He is capable of.  I eased up on the accelerator just a tad and my foul mood as well.




The other things I found to be grateful for that day included:

  • The therapy pug wheeled into the hospital enthroned on a pile of pillows for her comfort.  The little thing was so roly-poly she looked like a sausage with a face and she was so sweet and happy to snuffle at your hand for treats.  Pugs are my favorite breed so it was a real pleasure.
  • Spending time with Aunty Sherri in the hospital lobby and having some laughter injected into my day
  • A delicious orange cream smoothie
  • Conversation with a lovely couple from Michigan who were down for their adult son's heart surgery.  We talked about everything from England to babies and it really helped to pass the time while Mike was in surgery
Last but never least, hot tea with milk at Mom's house, served in special china mugs.  There's something almost magically healing about hot, milky tea.  It's even better if it's snitched from Mom's mug while she's not looking.
    So it was a long and stressful day, but there were moments sprinkled through out it that were stepping stones across a frigid river.  Today, Mike's home and ensconced in his own bed, set up with pain medication and regally receiving any visitors that might call on him. I'm grateful that the surgery is over and it went well. 

    I've been really enjoying this song recently.  It's uplifting and energizing and I hope it makes someone elses day too.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment